The Seven Mile Bridge, in order to speed up construction, was divided into four parts. The first three, Knights Key Bridge, Pigeon Key Bridge and Moser Channel bridge, consisted of steel-girder spans laid on top of concrete foundation piers. The piers were secured to bedrock which in some cases was 28 feet below the waterline. A 253 swinging span was inserted for passage of boats between the Atlantic and Gulf. The fourth section of the bridge was called the Pacet Channel Viaduct and it consisted of two hundred+ 53 foot concrete arches. Today the Old Seven Mile Bridge (the original Knights Key Bridge) to Pigeon Key is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is home to the only authentic museum documenting construction of the Overseas Railroad. Between 1908-1912, as many as 400 workmen lived on the five acre Pigeon Key and this heritage is remarkably preserved as a special destination treat to all who traverse the 2.2 mile section of what locals now call the “Old Seven Mile Bridge”. Since 1982, when a new Seven Mile Bridge section was completed to accommodate modern traffic and taller ships, the section known as Old Seven Mile Bridge has served as a world famous fishing pier, jogging, and walking route, and of course the major path to Pigeon Key. In the last several years, tens of thousands of visitors were able to enjoy a ride on “Henry” – an authentic looking train designed to accentuate the visit to Pigeon Key. Currently, the tour train has not been used for several years.
The Retro Art Deco travel poster celebrates Pigeon Key and The “Old Seven Bridge”.
All proceeds benefit the Old Seven Mile Bridge reconstruction.
Brad is the son of Lt. David White, Flight Instructor from the NAS Fort Lauderdale.