The Veterans were asked questions such as:
- Did they feel the Fort Lauderdale community was receptive?
- What do you remember about the base?
- What was the Syllabus course for pilots like?
- Where exactly were the locations for Target Practice at the Ft. Laud. beach?
- What was there to do for entertainment in Fort Lauderdale?
- How did they transport around?
- Did they witnessed any plane crashes at the base? (There were 95 fatalities).
- What was their range for bomb practice, how far did they go?
- Where did the women WAVES live? Did they do any jobs as mechanics?
- Where were you when the war ended?
We received many interesting answers, and learned from their recollections. We're going to try to do more small sessions with veterans and civilians that served at this base. If you were part of the Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale, please feel free to contact the Museum, so we can record your history. Thank you!
Click on thumbnails to enlarge