The Edgar "Buddy" Galvin Butterfly Garden
at Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale Museum
2016 Emerald Award Winner!
to the BUTTERFLY GARDEN PROJECT!
The garden will feature an assortment of plants, surrounding a dimensional design of poured concrete, representing a WWII TBM/TBF Avenger torpedo bomber, and it will have a legend commemorating one of the great aviation mysteries, Flight 19. The triangle design will face in the direction in which Flight 19 took off on the fateful day of December 5, 1945. Three corners will represent the Bermuda Triangle, with each corner having trees and plants representing the areas of Puerto Rico, Florida, and Bermuda.
Thank you to Broward Master Gardeners and veterans Errol Simmons, Michael Thomas, and Brendan Doyle, who are instrumental in procuring all the plans, volunteers, work, funding, grants, and getting the garden planted and completed. Thank you also, to volunteers Rebeca Copeland, Teri Goldsmith (President of Broward Master Gardeners), and Janice Malkoff (past president of the Butterfly Garden Society of Broward County), and veterans Phillip Jordan, Nunzio Galli, and Conrad Multon.
Our heartfelt gratitude to the following participants:
- Vietnam Veteran John Bowen, an author and artist, sketched the blue prints.
- David Nelson, from the South Florida Wood Guild, donated wood for 4 tables that will surround the memorial area.
- Crew members of the USS Bataan, who volunteered to dig the grounds on May 5, 2016.
The following organizations and people have so far donated monies:
- George & Yvonne Sterr
- Phillip Jordan
- Heidi M O'Sheehan
- Kiwanis Club of Hollywood, Inc. - Mr. Saled Tale-Tehrani, President
- Kiwanis Club of Hallandale, Inc. - Mr. Alan Lipson
- Brendan Doyle
- John & Minerva Bloom
- Florida Master Gardeners of Broward County, Inc.
- Gary Tepper
- Home Depot, Sterling Rd. & University
BUTTERFLY GARDEN PROJECT!
Creating the "Bermuda Triangle" around the plane.
South Florida, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico flowers, butterfly bushes, and trees will be added here.